SGI seeks to provide resources to its Members and the Responsible Investing Community that will support their shareholder engagement, investment processes, or commitment to socially responsible investment.
- Sustainable & Responsible Mutual Fund Chart from US SIF (The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment). The Mutual Fund Performance Chart displays all sustainable and responsible mutual funds offered by US SIF’s institutional member firms. This public tool is meant for individual investors to compare cost, financial performance, screens and voting records of competing funds. All listed funds are open to new investors.
- Fossil Free Funds. Are your savings invested in fossil fuels? Search for mutual funds from your portfolio or retirement plan and find the fossil fuels hidden within, a resource from As You Sow.
- Gender Equality Funds. Another resource from As You Sow, this website promotes gender equality in the workplace. The website analyzes the companies inside popular mutual funds and tracks the gender balance of company leadership and workforce. Each fund gets a gender balance score based on how the companies it invests in stack up on criteria including: The gender balance of the board of directors, the gender balance of corporate executives and senior management, the gender balance of the overall workforce, and the gender ratio of management compared to total employees.
- Morningstar Sustainability Rating™. This tool is a means for investors to evaluate how well the companies in a fund’s portfolio are managing the environmental, social, and governance—or ESG—investing factors relevant to their industries. It makes it possible to find sustainable funds even if not marketed specifically as products that support a socially responsible investing approach.
- ICCR Guide to Proxy Resolutions. This guide explains the basics in 27 PowerPoint slides: why file a resolution, filing procedures, critical dates, next steps, the filing packet, cover letter tips, verifying stock ownership, structure and content of resolutions, co-filing and collaboration, and beyond.
- ICCR’s Shareholder Advocacy Learning Center. To view this material, readers need to login to the ICCR members’ area. Filled with a wealth of tools and valuable resources, it is a great introduction to ICCR and shareholder advocacy.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Shareholder Proposal and Proxy Access. From Scott Lesmes, Partner, in the Corporate Group at Morrison & Foerster LLP, this is a helpful resource that responds to common questions.
- Yahoo Finance. For many companies and mutual funds, Yahoo Finance now provides a sustainability score. For instance, here is the score for Apple. To find this rating, if available, for a fund or a company, simply search in Yahoo Finance for the company. Arriving at the company screen, on the far right is a tab for “Sustainability.”
- ProxyDemocracy. The website tracks how fund managers vote their proxies.
Incorporating ESG/ SRI Strategies
- 21st Century Engagement: Investor Strategies for Incorporating ESG Considerations into Corporate Interactions. A resource prepared by CERES and BlackRock, this 68-page resource gathers the perspectives of numerous colleagues in socially responsible investing. It also concludes with a very helpful collection of resources.
- Incorporating Sustainable, Responsible And Impact Investing Into Your Practice: A Roadmap For Financial Advisors 2018. This free, downloadable PDF from US SIF is a guide for financial advisors on how to incorporate sustainable, responsible and impact investing (SRI) into their practice.
- Moving Forward with Sustainable, Responsible and Impact Investing: A Roadmap For Money Managers 2018. This free, downloadable PDF from US SIF is a comprehensive guide for money managers on how to incorporate sustainable, responsible and impact investing at their firms.
- 2018 Corporate Resolution Filing Deadlines (XLSX) (PDF)
- ICCR 2018 Proxy Resolutions and Voting Guide
- Proxy Preview, released annually by As You Sow, the Sustainable Investments Institute (Si2), and Proxy Impact, lists specific shareholder resolutions and lays out major themes
SGI Quarterly Webinars
Every three months, SGI will host a webinar. Here is a listing of our recordings:
- Supply Chain Human Rights (Nov. 2018)
- Shareholder Resolution Process (Aug. 2018)
- Health (April 2018)
- Member Orientation (March. 2018)
- Immigration and the Shareholder (Feb. 2018)
- Navigating the ICCR and SGI website (Dec. 2017)
Climate Change Resources
- ICCR: An Interfaith Investor Response to the Papal Encyclical on Climate Change
- CDP: Climate Change Report 2016
- CDP: Global Forest Report 2016
- NYT: Short Answers to Hard Questions About Climate Change
- HBR: Divestment Alone Won’t beat Climate Change
- Calvert Investments: Policy Engagement Toolkit
- IPCC: Fifth Assessment Report (AR5)
- ICCR: Invested in Change
- ICCR: Faith Based Statements on Climate Change
- Harvard Business School: Divestment Alone Won’t beat Climate Change
- World Bank: Turn Down the Heat: Why a 4°C Warmer World Must Be Avoided
- US-SIF: Investing to Curb Climate Change – A Guide for the Individual Investor
Corporate Governance Resources
- Ceres: View From the Top: How Corporate Boards Engage on Sustainability Performance
- CalPERS: Global Principles of Accountable Corporate Governance
- Oxfam: An economy for the 99 percent
- S&P Global Market Intelligence: How Increasing Income Inequality Is Dampening U.S. Economic Growth, And Possible Ways To Change The Tide
- Center for American Progress: Next Steps for Progress on Equal Pay
- 24/7 Wall Street: Companies Paying Americans the Least
- Walden Asset Management and Calvert Investments: Policy Engagement Toolkit
Environmental Justice Resources
- OSHA: Transporting Hazardous Materials
- NPR: A Hard Look At The Risks Of Transporting Oil On Rail Tanker Cars
- Resource Hub: North American Crude by Rail
- DOT: Final Rule to Strengthen Safe Transportation of Flammable Liquids by Rail
- Association of American Railroads: Crude by Rail
- ICCR: 40 Years of Environmental Stewardship
Food Safety and Sustainability Resources
- Ceres: Reporting Guidance for Responsible Palm
- NPR: Thou Shalt Not Toss Food: Enlisting Religious Groups To Fight Waste
- ICCR: Recipes for a More Just Food System
- UN: Report of the Special Rapporteur on the right to food
- Access To Nutrition Index
- Rudd Center: Targeted Marketing report
- Grace Communications Foundation: Sustainable Agriculture – The Basics
- Union of Concerned Scientists: Sustainable Agriculture Techniques
- Oxfam: Behind the Brands
- ICCR: Statement of Principles and Recommended Practices for Corporations on Domestic Health Issues
- ICCR: An Ounce of Prevention
- Kaiser Family Foundation: Healthcare Research
- Access to Medicine Foundation: Access to Medicine Index 2016
Human Rights Resources
Water Stewardship Resources
- ICCR: Statement of Principles & Recommended Practices for Corporate Water Stewardship
- ICCR: Framing the Dialogue on the Human Right to Water: Opportunities for Multi-stakeholder Collaboration
- CDP: Global Water Report 2016
- Ceres: Feeding Ourselves Thirsty: How the Food Sector is Managing Global Water Risks
- Shift: Guidance for Companies on Respecting the Human Rights to Water and Sanitation
- The CEO Water Mandate